Conextra GmbH - Typo3 Warenwirtschaft Systemadministration - Für Sie gemacht
Europe´s 1st free online infoguide!
Coat of arms of the Jörgers
Helmhart Jörger at the age of 55
Scharnstein Castle
Scythe workers from Grubbach

Excerpt: The formation of the Geyerhammer

Sensenmuseum Geyerhammer
Scharnstein, Austria
  11497 Besichtigungen

Today's Geyerhammer Museum originally consisted of two independent scythe works: the factory at the Alm bridge, also called "Pieslinger Hammer", and the factory above the Alm bridge, later called "Geyerhammer".
Both were founded by the evangelical Baron Helmhart Jörger VIII between 1585 and 1588 in addition to other scythe works. He purchased Scharnstein as free property of the emperor and built the Nurse's House, which was established on the “Schafferleithen” after the big fire in Scharnstein Castle and made it today’s “Schloss Scharnstein” (Scharnstein Castle or alternatively Neuscharnstein Castle).
Through the centuries, the two scythe factories were owned by various Hammerlord dynasties. The factory on the Alm bridge belonged to the Pieslinger family for several generations. In 1881 it was bought by the Viennese entrepreneur and banker Max Reitzes, who held his summer residence in Scharnstein and was significantly involved in the municipal office relocation of Viechtwang to Scharnstein. Reitzes used the former place of honorable work as a "temple of the muses“ before it was sold to the Redtenbacher company and united with Geyerhammer in 1897... You will find more about this exhibition inside the museum!


Infoguides, die dieses Objekt beinhalten, anzeigen